Thursday, February 12, 2009

Don't speak Khmer!

I've recently discovered I think I think in Khmer more than I thought. Let me explain. At the school I help at I have to speak English. I'm there to help the Khmer teachers with their English and teaching. They teach in English and everything in the classroom in the morning is totally in English. I'm finding I have to stop myself from speaking Khmer. When I go to say something I need to search in my head for the English! Once I said something in Khmer and the kids laughed and ran to tell some other kids that the teacher spoke Khmer.
UPDATE: I wrote that last week. Today I couldn't do much to help at school as I've lost my voice. Well, I can talk a bit but it sounds so funny the kids didn't understand, and adults (esp Soeun) seem to find it funny. It does sound pretty funny. I learnt how to say "I lost my voice", lit: speaking can't come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment