Thursday, March 12, 2009
Wet and Vet
The other day at school the teacher got me to help teach the pronunciation of wet and vet. The 'w' and 'v' sound are really hard to say for Khmer people. In Khmer there is one sound that is similar to both, so its hard for them to distinguish between the two. And when I'm speaking Khmer I have the same trouble with some sounds. In English we have a "d" sound and a 't' sound, but in Khmer there are four different sounds. I've been told I often say "tight"when I mean to say "know".
Labels:
Bilingual school,
Language study
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
People with apraxia [I'm thinking of an Austn]have trouble saying sounds. To cue for 'w' I put fingertips together & point them at E so they look like lips when saying 'w'. Nutfield [English system] uses picture of rabbit showing top front teeth.
ReplyDeleteBut that's probably not what you need. Perhaps blowing like 'wind' or blowing out candles. G'mH use to put used cake candles in cakes of soap for chn to blow out.